Clarington Emergency and Fire Services responded to a fire in Courtice early Wednesday morning, which temporarily displaced a family.
“The main thing is they got out alive.”
Five trucks and approximately 17 firefighters battled the blaze at a Courtice home early Wednesday morning. From the front of the home the damage doesn’t appear to be serious, but fire officials say there’s an estimated 100-thousand dollars damage, mainly to the rear of the home.
“The fire started somewhere in the back and that’s still being investigated but it actually breached into the attic and rolled across the front and as you can see behind me it came out through the front eve.”
The couple and their dog made it out safely. While the homeowner didn’t wish to appear on camera, he did tell us he woke up around 2 am to see the fire had spread close to his bedroom. He says he woke up his wife, ran to get his dog and escaped the burning home. He says he’s very grateful for the help of the Red Cross which has found temporary accommodations for them.
“I believe they had working smoke alarms but that’s still to be confirmed.”
“Can’t harp enough to remind people to make sure you have working smoke alarms on all levels and carbon monoxide.”