A Clarington family is searching for answers after a fire destroyed their family home.
Clarington Fire Chief Gord Weir.
“That’s been a constant message from fire services and myself to please make sure you have working smoke alarms on every level and test them regularly”
Clarington Fire Chief Gord Weir says a Clarington family would not be alive today if they didn’t have a working smoke detector. The alarm woke up the father just after 2:30 am Monday morning saved his family’s life.
The fire department received the call at 2:38 am, when crews arrived at the home on green road just south of Taunton in Clarington the home was fully engulfed.
“We had approximately 6 pumpers and 5 tankers and a couple of support vehicles so it was close to the neighbour of 30 firefighters in a rural area. We had to shuttle the water to and from scene so that slowed it down.“
It took over 10 hours for the crew to make sure all of the hot spots were put out. Chief Weir says he cannot stress enough the importance of make sure your smoke alarm is working and that you know what to do if there is a fire.
“If they are battery operated ones you should be changing those batteries and testing them.
Maybe even make it a family event and do a practice fire drill to set one off manually and have your kids practice to get out to a meeting place.”
The damage to the home is estimated around 1 million dollars.