Clarington Emergency and Fire Services responded to a residential house fire this morning at 8:54 a.m. in Courtice. Approximately 20 firefighters arrived on scene to a fully engulfed garage fire.
“The fire spread into the home. We believe it started in the garage but will not be able to determine that until we complete our investigation,” said Clarington Fire Chief Gord Weir.
All residents were able to leave the home safely. One person suffered burns to the hand after attempting to grab a super-heated fire extinguisher. Fire crews worked quickly to gain control of the fire, it was largely extinguished by 10:30 a.m. Crews remained on scene to perform overhaul, ventilation and cleanup. The damage to the home is extensive. Red Cross has been called to assist the family.